Spaghetti Marinara with Crack Bread



My sister lives in the next town over from me and yesterday I went to visit her. In the tiny town of Chester where she lives, there is a restaurant called Simon's Marketplace. The restaurant is housed in an old building in the center of town that when I was living there in the 70's and 80's used to be a small and locally owned grocery store. Before heading up for my visit I stopped to get some of their outstanding sandwiches for us to have for lunch and while I was there picked up their ever popular bread that is baked fresh on a daily basis.
The bread as I understand it comes in as a dough ready to bake. What makes this bread so special and so addicting (that's why it has been nicknamed "Crack Bread") is that it is smothered in good olive oil and a generous sprinkling of sea salt is added to the top. It is outrageously good. After it bakes the outside has this incredible flavor from the olive oil and sea salt and inside, a soft center with airy holes to hold delicious butter or jam.
After a lovely visit with my sister and brother-in-law, I headed home with my bread and began thinking what I could throw together quickly for dinner without a lot of fuss. Knowing that the bread would go so well with a pasta dish I decided to make a quick marinara sauce. (Follow the link for the recipe.)
Everything came together in an hour which makes this a great go to meal for busy week nights. We still have our jars of home made sauce from garden ripe tomatoes. Your own fresh tomato sauce is killer good next to any product on the grocery shelf. I highly recommend canning your own sauce if you are able to make the initial investment in the ball jars, rings and lids. Also, look at flea markets and tag sales for jars at bargain prices.
If you can procure a loaf of raw dough or make your own dough, try this method. Incredible! I checked other recipes and you would oil the dough and add the sea salt prior to baking. Tell me if you try it and if you think it is indeed addicting.




Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts